Saturday, August 1, 2015

RUFFLY TANK DRESS / RÜSCHIGES T-SHIRT-KLEID




There's this dress version I like very much. You just slip it on - no zippers or buttons - and it's easy to wear, very comfortable and casual. Recently I've made one of the millions of possible dresses that fit this description.
No need to tell you I love wearing it and have already worn it several times :-)
Mine is made of a jersey in a light blue melange and has ruffles around the armskyes and neckline. Otherwise it is or rather should be a simple tube dress. If it weren't for those giant back darts I added.






When we went to Italy in June I bought a copy of "La mia Boutique" (7/2015) which is full of pretty and very wearable dresses and some nice men's wear - which is quite rare I believe. My ruffly tank dress is the first pattern I made up from it. Another is still in the making. ;-)
(Just so you know: I'm trying to outrun the end of summer by stocking up on summer dresses as fast as my machine can sew.)

I made a size 42 because I thought it would fit me best - not too baggy, not too snug. But I think a 40 would have been better, since I added pretty big darts in the back to achieve a better fit - and it's still not too snug. The darts folded nicely to the outside and were lying flat so I did't cut the dart fabric away. Also I was a bit worried I would create bulky seams which wouldn't lie flat on the back of my dress. Would have destroyed the slight clinging to the waist, no? So a little vainity was involved, too! ;-) Pleading guilty.











You can see that I left the inner edges of the jersey raw. I found the ruffles and jersey binding bulky enough without another added layer of jersey turned under.
The technical drawing shows that the hem should be bound by a broad band of jersey maybe even some elastic!? And it should be gathered. My Italian is nothing to speak of. So obviously I couldn't read the instructions. After some consideration I slightly held in the seam, serged on a folded jersey band and zigzagged over the serging seam from the outside. I think it's pretty, rather even and the seam doesn't turn up. I'll definitely do this finish again.



 



Thoughts on pattern and design:
Can't say anything about the instructions as I didn't understand them. :-( /Definitely need to learn some Italian!
The pattern is simple but very sweet, BUT could be worked out better. Darts or different spape of waist part would be nice.
The design is lovely. Though you should have a matching top to wear under the dress. I love wearing the dress and will do so until it goes to shreds ;-)
And because I love it so much a few more pictures I have to show.
 













Other details:
* long silver necklace with rock crystal pendant from local decorations and gifts shop (no brand)
* short silver necklace with smallheart shaped glass pendant and brown facetted crystal pendant from
   local jewellery shop (no brand)
* spaghetti strap top from Boden Clothing



<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14092657/?claim=v8xcqzbzsfa">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Perfect for summer wear! So cute with the little tank you've got on underneath here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! So do I ;-) I think we're into the same colours, aren't we? :-)

      Delete
  2. Very sweet top! Those little ruffles are perfect additions :) It looks comfy but pretty, perfect for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I am trying with you to outrun the end of summer! I'm sewing more dresses than I can wear these days :D Yours turned out lovely, the ruffles look totally cute and next time I get to Italy I need to buy me that magazine! I've never even heard of a sewing magazine that has men sewing patterns in it! Great! The dress really fits you well too and I like the color, so summery! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I've bought it I've been thinking "Who could I possibly send to Italy with the instructions to buy me the next copy?" ;-) I'll let you know how well the patterns are worked out. It's a bit tricky sometimes to guess how to complete some parts of the garment (at least with the one I'm sewing at the moment) but still manageable.

      Delete
  4. This is such a sweet and pretty little dress and you look fabulous in it! I like it with the little tank top underneath. Those two colours look great together too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carolyn! I've already worn it a few times and love it! Although it's quite warm because you always have to wear something underneath ;-)

      Delete