Thursday, August 27, 2015

CIAO ITALIA






Hallo! Heute zum ersten Mal mit bei RUMS und zwar mit englischsprachigem Post. Alle die das nicht so mögen dürfen gerne Bildchen gucken! 

I've wanted to do something new for a change or do things a little differently from my previous posts at least. Maybe I've been a bit bored with myself? ;-)
So today's theme is "Ciao Italia" - with summer being almost over and my breezy Mediteranean mood sure to vanish soon I thought I'd try to style myself as an Italian diva.
Maybe you're asking yourself why the heck I'm so obsessed with Italy? In case you've read my previous posts you might guess that it's because I've been sewing Italian - or from an Italian magazine. And of course I would love another holiday there sooo very much... though it will have to wait until next year - a bad case of holiday longing...
My dress is from "La mia Boutique" again. The second dress from it now which is olive coloured and reminiding me of ... guess what? Italy!





 
I made the dress from an olive green crepe georgette which was formely dedicated to the making up of Vogue V1387 by Rebecca Taylor. But somehow Vogue V1387 didn't make the race.
When I was just about to cut out the pattern pieces I was suddenly unsure if the wide shoulder yokes would suit me so it went back into my pattern stack. And I chose one of the patterns from "La mia Boutique" instead. It's dress 7 from the July 2015 issue.




Now the olive georgette's become a heavenly soft and light dress. And enter la donna con abito molto bellissima :-)
 
Some questions singnora:
Do you love wearing it?    Yes, of course, can't you see that. 
How does it feel?               It's light like a feather and caresses the skin.
Do I think it has Italian flair?    Naturally, since it was designed in Italy.
Would I make it again?    ....Hmm, let me think about that.

What are the reasons you would or wouldn't make it again?   That is a complicated story....

When I started of sewing I didn't imagine the georgette to be such a sensitive thing. It turned out that no seam could be unpicked without destroying the fabric. So everything had to be right at the first go. Also the fabric is rather sheer, so I had to use french seams for all the inner seams. And third the instructions were a bit of a problem. I can't say they were bad because I don't read Italian ;-) So I had to work with no instructions to speak of. This was a bit tricky when I had to puzzle out the sequence of sewing steps when constructiong the bodice. But as you can tell by now it worked out. Although I'm not one hundred percent sure if my bodice is exactly what the intended bodice should be like with the tunnels for the ties and the shoulder yokes. But I'm proud it worked all out. :-)
I also made a white slip dress to go under the olive dress. I made it from white viscose satin. This means that it's visible under the sheer fabric. That's not really bad but I think I will make a second one in a green rayon fabric that's somewhere in my stack. The reason I made a white one at first is that I also intend to wear it with another sheer dress (white floral) which I hope to blog about soon.
I'd like to show you a few more pictures. You can see that the fabric is varyingly transparent depending on the light. As you can see my dress is gathered with an elastic in the front and tied with straps in the back - and also around the bodice (which you can see in the above pictures).



 


























And now my dear audience I'm tired and it's enough for today. And exit la signora. She's quite a snob isn't she but I hope you don't mind I invited her to visit my blog today?! ;-)
She allowed me to take some more pictures as a parting gift and told me to affectionately greet all readers. :-)






Und für alle die ganz brav bis zum Ende dieses englischen Posts durchgehalten haben hier der backlink zu RUMS. Danke für's Englischlesen!

Other details:
watch - Tissot
heartshaped red foam coral earrings - handcrafted by local designer, gift from my husband
sandals - Luzzi

6 comments:

  1. You look truly Italian and I really enjoyed reading your post! Also I think you did great even without understanding the instructions and you chose a beautiful fabric. It has such a lovely drape and color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katharina! I'm glad you don't think it too silly. ;-) I love the fabric, too, although I'll probably think twice before sewing it again.

      Delete
  2. Ohh.. so pretty! I love your new dress and your fabric. Beautiful details and you have done it perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana! Thank you so much. I really put some work into that dress ;-)

      Delete
  3. What an entertaining post! Love it! And love your pretty dress..... very much. So many pretty details like the button at the sleeve and of course the gorgeous neckline. Great idea making a slip dress for the 'slip'. So many gorgeous fabrics are see-through/transparent and it's hard to decide whether to line or not. Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! You're so right. I always fall for sheer cotton voile and later have problems to decide what to make from something so transparent. :-)
      Also I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading - yesterday my husband read my post and remarked that he wouldn't have thought I'd write like this. Whatever this is to mean!

      Delete