Monday, July 20, 2015

DOUBLE LAYERED WRAP SKIRT



Airy summer skirts really are an undisputed must-have when summer has arrived. And it really has by now ;-) So summer flats on, airy skirt and breezy top and off you go to the lake or wherever you prefer to spend your time off.
You see it was just in time I got my skirt ready. Actually I got it ready a little while ago before we went on holiday to Italy.
It is from a Burda magazine. Burda 7/2013 Mod. 111.



It's just a simple wrap skirt. It's sewed in double layers with the under layer a little longer than the upper one and the upper edge of the lining layer turned down at the waist.
The front piece of the skirt is cut about 30 cm wider to create a fold which is then tied to the side.
So it's a mock wrap skirt really.


 


In the above pictures the skirt has shifted to the side which you can see in the left picture. Usually the side seam should be sitting on the side - who would have thought ? ;-). I didn't notice at all when taking the pictures because I had a race to win with my camera which kept switching off at random. Finally I got so annoyed with it that I couldn't take any usable pictures at all. My grimasses got worse with each try... You wouldn't really want to see, would you?  That's why I used two different locations and most acceptable pictures were taken by my smartphone invested male counterpart.
The camera's definitely out of my good graces! It's been throwing fits more and more often recently.

The sewing instructions didn't include any fixation of the fold (and I didn't trust the skirt to stay where it's supposed to be). So I added a button on the inside of the skirt and two button holes one for each layer of the fold. Hopefully this way the fold can't escape and slip down too much.


 


The upper layer of the skirt I made from a cotton or comparable cutwork fabric which is quite robust and a tiny bit stiff. The under layer is an apricot viscose fabric which is very flowy and soft. I prewashed both fabrics at 40°C but after the second wash (also at 40°C) the viscose fabric shrunk a second time. Only a very small length but still, I'm glad it still visible at the bottom seam line. Phuu...
Also the viscose was a hell to cut the exact lenght at the hem. I did my best but it's still a bit wavy and tends to appear and disappear behind the top layer in some places. I'm not sure if it's just shifting to the side or really cut too short or long....  I've decided it doesn't matter too much. It's just a very casual summer skirt after all.




Other details:
sandals/ flats - Wrangler
black sandals - s.Oliver
top - Bonaparte
necklace - andradearte design, present (handcrafted in Brazil? I think)
bracelets - present, origin unknown

7 comments:

  1. What a pretty easy-breezy wrap skirt! Lovely color that says 'summertime, summertime'. Hope your camera does not misbehave so much in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel very much like summer time at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I would have liked seeing those photos :-P Hope you get your camera into control, Ora new or something. It's not worth it being annoyed taking photos, that should be as much fun as possible. The pictures turned out nice though! And the skirt too! I really like the colors and the fake wrap impression! I too have problems with viscose, ugh nasty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely skirt! Comfortable but pretty at the same time. I have this pattern in stash. I might make it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana! It really is very comfy. I'd love to see your version of it!

      Delete
  4. This looks really sweet, and it's a lovely breezy summer style. You look really cute in it! All your pictures looks great, but I hope your camera starts to behave soon. Sounds really annoying! Hehe, but I have to admit I would have loved to see the grimacing pictures! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out it was just its memory card being "unlocked" rather than the whole thing being broken ;-) That's me and my sense of technical equipment! Hopefully it won't happen again.
      I guess I will choose one of the creepy pics if my "readers/followers" count goes through the roof! :-)
      Hihi ... just kidding.

      Delete