Tuesday, May 26, 2015

JACKET WITH SEQUINS / JACKE MIT PAILLETTEN


This is not exactly a new jacket but one I love very much! It doesn't see much wear though. Mind you, when do you exactly wear a woolen jacket (quite warm) with hardly any closure (not so warm) and sequins at neck line and sleeve seams (at least a little bit unpractical)?
But I love it all the more as I'm a tiny little bit pigheaded. :) It would go prettily with almost any evening robe if I had the chance to wear one once in a while! So to spite its uselessness I took it out today to a day with my kids and a friend and her kids. Quite the perfect mommy style ;) Maybe also a little because it's still Me-Made-May and I don't want to repeat my other me-mades time and again.

Now a few more details for any the other interested sewistas. The pattern is Mod.126 from Burda magazine 8/2012. I lengthened the sleeves 2 cm and the back and front pieces 3cm. That's the usual length I have to add to accomodate my arms and torso comfortably. Otherwise the pattern is unaltered. I chose a wool bouclé as my fashion fabric.
The trim is made of sequinned tulle and sewn on per hand. First I cut out the tulle pieces with old scissors. Then I cut away all sequins on the seam allowance. Afterwards I simply folded under the seam allowance and pinned the pieces along the neck line and sleeve hems. About two hours of hand sewing later the jacket had sequin trimming but still with quite a few missing sequins along the edges. So I took a thread and needle and sewed sequins back on where too many were missing.





As you can see the jacket has raglan sleeves which makes for a very good fit in my opinion. It may also be possible that I'm just a person made for raglan patterns. I have very straight shoulders. Therefore I often have to adjust the fit of jackets and tops to my personnel shape especially along the armscye and neck line.
For closure I sewed on two small hooks. The jacket is fully lined in violet viscose lining fabric. I sewed the lining to the jacket with my machine and only did the hem by hand. In the center back I sewed in a 2 cm deep fold for comfortable wearing. In the picture the lining frizzles a little along the line where I sewed it in probably due to the strechiness of the bouclé. Maybe a bit of steaming could tame it to evenness?!




Something I like very much about my jacket is the slight A-line. It isn't actually A-lined but the mostly missing closure lets it gape open a little which looks very nice.
You see I really have to recommend this pattern very much! ;)




Ahem... if you've noticed the tiny bump in my back pocket. I'm carrying my daughter's favourite bracelet she had to take off because it hampered her when riding her bike.

One final matter I'd like to adress (very formal here :)) is the former biligualism of this blog which will end as of today. No votes against!!
Meaning from today on I will write in English only. Some short paragraphs of German may pop up but not regularly. So see you soon and I hope I didn't just put off every German blogger or blog reader who's ever found my blog! I would really aprreciate you visiting again very much.
Have a nice evening everyone. :)

Kathrin

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love, love, love your beautiful jacket and Yes! absolutely wear it for 'everyday' and not just save it for those special occasions! Maybe the sequins add a touch of 'specialness' to the 'everyday'? Sounds like a wonderful day spent with your children and friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa! I will definitely try to wear it more often. You're right about the specialness I think. It's a bit sad to save it for only a few days a year :) It was a really nice day, I hope you have a great time, too!

      Delete
  2. I love your jacket with the sequins! and it works perfectly for daywear. It looks just gorgeous with jeans like you've styled it here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carolyn :) That's how it fits best into my everyday wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete